Tuesday, June 7, 2005

BBC: "US Interest In Koran Has Risen"



Our good friends at the BBC never cease to astonish. We've been getting good coverage from Bolivia, among other places, but now we turn to America, home of the endless and all-consuming, absurd and offensive War On Whatever, in which The British Are Complicit, and Would you please have a look at this?

US citizens snap up free Korans
US interest in the Muslim holy book Koran has risen after reports of its mishandling at Guantanamo Bay, a Muslim charity has said in Washington.

The Council for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) said it had received over 5,000 requests for free copies over the last two weeks.

One copy was being requested almost every minute, it said.
Fairly encouraging, wouldn't you say? We've been deluged with all this pro-war propaganda for the past three and a half years and people are still saying: "Hey, I wouldn't mind reading a Koran. I wonder what it's about."

Hmmm. What to do? I want you to read the rest of the story but I want you to do it here. Don't click that link yet! Here's the rest of that story:
Reports of the Koran's mishandling led to violent anti-US protests last month.

At least 15 people died in riots in Afghanistan after a magazine reported that US guards had deliberately mishandled the Koran at the US detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

The magazine retracted its report but subsequent inquiries by the Pentagon found several instances of the Koran being mishandled by guards - as well as by detainees.

'Overwhelming'

Following the controversy, CAIR - a Muslim organisation focused on increasing awareness of the Muslim faith in the US - had started a campaign titled "Explore the Koran".

"The response has been overwhelmingly positive," CAIR chief Nihad Awad said.

"It reflects a desire by ordinary Americans to better understand Islam and Muslims."

Among those who asked for a free copy is a police officer who works with the Muslim community, the charity said.

Others include Christian religious leaders "who wish to explain Islam to their congregations" and Americans of all faiths.

CAIR is requesting Muslims all over the world to sponsor free copies for those who wish to improve their knowledge of the book.

The organisation is one of America's largest Muslim civil liberties groups.
What did you think? It sounded faintly positive to me. And I'm a fairly non-violent type. So I like stories about reconciliation between different religions. Especially if the people who are supposed to represent one of those religions is waging war against the people who are supposed to represent the other religion. And most especially if innocent people, people whose only 'crime' was that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, people who are not supposed to represent anyone, are being killed, or tortured, or sold into confinement, or all of the above. That kind of bugs me, as both my regular readers will tell you.

Not to flog a dead horse [more on that later, maybe] but it seemed like a hopeful, peaceful story. Anyone get the opposite impression? Good. Then maybe somebody can tell me:


Why did the BBC run this photo with that story?

Was the mighty Beeb having a spot of war-mongering tea with its crumpets on Monday afternoon?

I don't know. I'm just asking. I find it difficult to imagine that they couldn't come up with a more appropriate image. But then maybe I'm seeing it all wrong.

Maybe a shot of people burning an American flag is the most appropriate possible image for a story that's screaming out for a little peace, love and understanding.

You tell me. What do you think?


We haven't had a song for a while. This one was written by Nick Lowe but it sounded great when Elvis Costello sang it, and that's where I learned it.

"Sounded great? Well of course it did!" I can hear Nick yelling at me as I type. "I produced that record, didn't I?"

Just kidding, Nick! Don't worry, it was a joke! They can't all be funny!

Seriously, though: Maybe more of us should be visiting the Council for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) and seeing what's up over there. Maybe some of us should get on the BBC's case over choice of image [unless we think they got it just right!] ... And I hope you'll all join me in three cheers for Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe. What a couple of guys! And what a great song!

(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love, And Understanding

As I walk through this wicked world
searching for light in the darkness of insanity
I ask myself: Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred and misery?
And each time I feel like this inside,
There’s one thing I wanna know:
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding? ohhhh
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding?

And as I walk on through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong, and who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony? Sweet harmony.
’Cause each time I feel it slippin’ away, just makes me wanna cry.
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding? ohhhh
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding?


So where are the strong? And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony? Sweet harmony.
’Cause each time I feel it slippin’ away, just makes me wanna cry.
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding? ohhhh
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding? ohhhh
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding?