Sunday, February 13, 2005

Liberators, Not Occupiers

US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has made a surprise visit to Iraq, and where he told US troops that
America is, in fact, a land of liberators, not a land of occupiers
According to this CNN story, Rumsfeld also told the troops
The next task is to prepare Iraq security forces to have confidence to defeat the insurgency
and
Once they have that confidence, our forces can go home.
His comments raised a few [unasked and unanswered] questions, such as
Will the Iraqi people really consider themselves liberated when they can no longer enjoy music or play chess?
and
If our troops go home, who is going to take care of all the permanent bases we've been building?
and
How are we going to get all this oil out of here if we go home?
I suppose the questions will remain unanswered, but at least they are no longer unasked...

in violation of these instructions from Lynyrd Skynyrd:

Don't Ask Me No Questions

Well, every time that I come home nobody wants to let me be
It seems that all the friends I've got just got to come interrogate me
Well, I appreciate your feelings and I don't want to pass you by
But I don't ask you 'bout your business Don't ask me about mine

Well, it's true I love the money and I love my brand new car
I like drinkin' the best of whiskey and playin' in a honky tonk bar
But when I come off the road, well, I just gotta have my time
'Cause I gotta find a break in this action else I'm gonna lose my mind

So don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies
So don't ask me 'bout my business and I won't tell you goodbye

Well, what's you favorite color and do you dig the Brothers drivin' me up the wall
And every time I think I can sleep some fool has got to call
Well, don't you think that when I come home I just want a little peace of mind?
If you want to talk about the business Buddy, you're just wasting time

So don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies
So don't ask me 'bout my business and I won't tell you goodbye
So don't ask no stupid questions and I won't send you away
If you want to talk fishin', well, I guess that'll be okay