Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Six Feet Of Snow

Many years ago, when I had more than a few regular readers, I would occasionally post something less than dead-serious. Whenever I did that, one of them would usually make an insightful comment, asking a subtle question such as, "Why are you wasting my time with this $#!^"

I was too immature or insecure to tell them what I really thought, so they kept me in line -- their line. Looking back, I can see that I was wrong not to tell them if they didn't like what was on my blog they could go click someplace else. And that's what I'll tell them if they come back and complain again.

All of which to say I intend to post more non-serious content than I have done in the past.

I figure: the people who come here to read about serious things may need some fun once in a while. And the people who come here for fun may need something serious.

On today's agenda: I love fun songs, and songs about cold weather suit my blog very well. I also love irony, and great musicians, and I think it's wonderful and ironic to find a fun song by a great band, in a Cajun style that screams "New Orleans", about weather that never ever happens in New Orleans or anywhere close.

The band is "Little Feat", the song is "Six Feet Of Snow", and the pedal steel solo at the end, by special guest Sneaky Pete Kleinow, is one of the most enjoyable short passages I've ever heard, on any instrument, in any genre.

So I am pleased to present this cold, ironic, fun musical interlude. And the narcissists who think that every single page on the internet should be especially for them can dance along if they like. Or they can go take a hike.

Six feet of snow
coming through my radio
It's raining in stilettos
from here clear down to Mexico

My hands are numb
from hanging on that steering wheel
They're frozen tight
Hope the wind don't blow me off the road tonight

Don't you know the ice and snow is sneaking in through my windows
Don't you know how much I hate to be so cold and so alone
I'm coming home

If it wasn't for the lines that wind side by side
I'd be lying next to her, next to her tonight

Sweet New Orleans, that's where my girl she waits for me
Hair so long and eyes so green
She's the prettiest girl I've ever seen

Don't you know the ice and snow
Is sneaking through this boy's window
Don't you know how much I hate to be so cold and so alone
I'm coming home

If it wasn't for the lines that wind side by side
I'd be lying next to her, next to her tonight