President Bush nominates hawkish US Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz to head the World BankHawkish? He resembles a hawk? In what way? I couldn't figure it out so I decided to look it up. dictionary.com serves up a number of very interesting definitions of the word "hawk", as detailed below:
hawk:Which of these do you think the BBC had in mind?
- 1. v. To peddle goods aggressively, especially by calling out.
- 2. n. Any of various birds of prey of the order Falconiformes and especially of the genera Accipiter and Buteo, characteristically having a short hooked bill and strong claws adapted for seizing.
- 3. n. Any of various similar birds of prey.
- 4. n. A person who preys on others; a shark.
- 5. n. One who demonstrates an actively aggressive or combative attitude, as in an argument.
- 6. n. A person who favors military force or action in order to carry out foreign policy.
- 7. v. To clear or attempt to clear the throat by or as if by coughing up phlegm.
- 8. n. An audible effort to clear the throat by expelling phlegm.