Friday, October 19, 2007

Tom Toles: Who's The Real Republican?



You see the tag line?

"Party like it's 1999"

It sounds a lot different now than it did then, doesn't it?

I've been reading Tom Toles for a long time now, and I remember an interview in which he explained how he works. He gets up and starts reading the papers at 6:00 every morning. Around 7:30 he stops reading and sketches a few ideas. By 9:00 or so, he decides which sketch will become the day's cartoon and he starts the final draft, which he draws with a pen. If all goes well he's done work by noon.

In the old days I got my daily requirement of Toles from the Buffalo News; he started working for the Washington Post after the legendary cartoonist Herblock passed away.

At the Washington Post website, Toles posts a sketch every day, as well as a cartoon, and sometimes (in the eye of this beholder) the sketches represent better ideas than the cartoons.

That's just my opinion, of course. But have a look at this: