Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Voice From Iraq: On Character Damage, The WTF Syndrome, and Desperate Attempts To Manufacture Meaning

Here's Garett Reppenhagen of Veterans for America:
After I shot my first civilian I was very upset. I went back to my connex and trashed the place. I brought my frustration up to my chain of command and was directed to my chaplain.

The very first thing he told me was that I was doing God's work and I did what I did for my country's and family's safety. I was told I was in God's hands and was an instrument of the Lord.

This was all very interesting, and not in the least helpful do to my religious beliefs.

I immediately realized what this officer was doing, he was trying to construct meaning for my actions. In fact he was trying to manufacture meaning for the entire war.

I saw through it and began to question my involvement in the entire operation.
Good for you, Garett. Three cheers for speaking up so candidly.

As for the rest of you, please click here and read the whole piece.

God's hands, indeed!