Friday, January 5, 2007

Newly Linked

[UPDATED below]

I've just linked a couple of new blogs on the sidebar and I wanted to draw your attention to them, as things are busy over there and here too at the moment, and you could easily have missed them.

Steve Burks : Shooting Straight


Steve Burks is a musician and writer from Gary, Indiana via Dallas, Texas. He popped up on my radar screen when he blogged about Sibel Edmonds and had me on the floor when he turned on his diplomacy blocker and said what he really thought about Dixie-Chick Haters.

So I kept reading and found that Steve is really thoughtful and thought-provoking; he hasn't blogged a lot lately but what he has posted at Shooting Straight seems really good to me. From one musician and writer to another: Keep up the good work, Steve. I'll be reading you.

Ranger Against War


Then there's the Special Forces vet who now blogs against the war from an undisclosed location in the USA. He came to my attention when he mentioned Janis Karpinski and I got reading a bit on his blog, RangerAgainstWar, and I found myself really enjoying it, especially in the spots where he and I don't exactly see eye-to-eye ... and there are quite a few of those spots, so it's been very interesting reading him. I think you'll probably enjoy reading him, too.

You might want to start with "Disarmament", a post which makes a ton of sense, and which, since I found it, has been linked by Juan Cole at Informed Comment. So this Ranger's undisclosed location is probably getting a ton of traffic at the moment, and it's very well-deserved, in my opinion.

From one undisclosed location to another, Congrats! and Please keep up the good work. I'll be reading you too.

Pen And Sword


Commander Jeff Huber, U.S. Navy (Retired) was operations officer of a naval air wing and an aircraft carrier, and commanded an E-2C Hawkeye aircraft squadron. His satires and analyses of military and foreign policy affairs have appeared in Proceedings, The Navy, Jane's Fighting Ships, and other print periodicals. Some of his essays have been required student reading at the U.S. Naval War College, where he received a master's degree in national security studies in 1995.

His "Navy Admiral Goes to CENTCOM: Be Very Afraid" caught my eye when it appeared at Larisa's blog and his blog, Pen And Sword, looks excellent (from what I've seen so far).

As always, your comments are invited.