Sunday, November 12, 2006

One Single Ray Of Hope

There's a ray of hope in today's New York Times: Democrats Aim to Save Inquiry on Work in Iraq
Congressional Democrats say they will press new legislation next week to restore the power of a federal agency in charge of ferreting out waste and corruption in Iraq and greatly increase its investigative reach.

The bills, the first of what are likely to be dozens of Democratic efforts to resurrect investigations of war profiteering and financial fraud in government contracting, could be introduced as early as Monday morning.

The move would nullify a Republican-backed provision, slipped into a huge military authorization bill, that set a termination date for the agency, the Office of the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction. The agency’s findings have consistently undermined Bush administration claims of widespread success in the reconstruction of Iraq.

Oversight, the power wielded by Congressional committees to demand information and internal documents and to haul executive branch officials to hearings, by subpoena if necessary, is reverberating through Congress as a Democratic battle cry.

“The unilateral decision made by House Republicans to shut down this critical office should be reversed immediately,” said Senator Harry Reid, the Nevada Democrat who is poised to become the majority leader.
You may recall some gnashing of teeth in a previous post about this matter; if not, you can find it here.

Perhaps there's some spine in these Democrats after all.


We haven't had a song in a long time, and it's time for another classic. This one's by David Cousins (pictured above, courtesy of Adrian The Rock) and Chas Cronk, of the Strawbs.

Midnight Sun

I have seen the midnight sun shining
I saw you fly away smiling
The dark night sheds no light
It merely serves a warning
I pray for one single ray of hope
Oh midnight sun.

I have seen the midnight sun shining
Watched her rays steadily dying
The candles are alight
I sit alone in mourning
I wonder is there death after life
Oh midnight sun.

While in my life
I have loved
I have lost
I feel no warmth from your days.

Yet I have seen the midnight sun shining
Welcomed her full golden lining
For when I have to fight
To wake up in the morning
I look to her for her open arms
Oh midnight sun.